One thing that avid campers often debate about is whether or not it’s better to cook inside the motorhome or over an open fire. Keep reading to learn some pros and cons of each method so you can decide what the best option is for you.
Cooking over the campfire
Most people associate camping with a roaring fire and roasted hot dogs, marshmallows and smores. But is campfire cooking all it’s cracked up to be?
- Unique experience. What is camping without a campfire? It’s one of the best parts of the camping experience, and one that many campers simply can’t do without.
- Added flavour. A campfire can infuse your dish with a special, smoky flavour that’s hard to replicate.
- More labour intensive. If you’re cooking over a campfire, you’ll have to chop wood and then build and maintain a fire that’s safe for you to cook on.
- Requires special gear. In addition to your regular kitchen supplies like plates and utensils, you’ll also need special equipment to cook over an open fire. Skewers for roasting hotdogs and marshmallows, a heavy-duty grill for barbequing, and a cast-iron pot or Dutch oven for other dishes.
Cooking in the camper kitchen
If your camping trip involves long hours of outdoor activities like swimming, water sports, or hiking in the woods, the convenience of a motorhome kitchen could be too good to pass up.
- Quick and easy. Nothing compares to the ease and convenience of stovetop cooking. Especially when it’s windy or rainy outside.
- Consistent results. If you’re cooking on a stove top, it’s fairly easy to get consistent and reliable results. This can be a bit more tricky over an open flame, where heat may not be as evenly distributed.
- More dishes. Cooking in the camper kitchen tends to produce more dishes than roasting over an pen flame, especially if there are a lot of pots and pans involved.
- Ordinary fare. The biggest con to cooking in the camper kitchen is that it’s not that much different than when you’re cooking at home, so you might not feel like you’re getting the full camping experience.
Want tips on how to get the most out of your camper or motorhome? Visit Happy Trails RV without delay. Happy Trails RV is your trusted source for the sale and service of recreational vehicles and has proudly served Grande Prairie and surrounding areas for over 25 years. Contact us today to learn more about what we have in stock or simply stop by our showroom and see for yourself. You’ll be glad you did!